Grocery Shopping. Seems easy enough, but to be honest this is something I still struggle with to this day. An ideal shopping trip for me would be to go to the store, get exactly what I need (while staying within a low budget) and then leaving. When I arrive home, I would be able to bring all my groceries in one trip…yeah, right.
Right now, my grocery shopping trips consist of small weekly trips where I buy produce or meat as I need them. This can be effective, but also time-consuming. Even though I am getting by with my method now, I can’t help but wonder if there are other ways to achieve this aspect of adulthood. So, while discussing this topic with a few of my friends, I decided to compile a list to make my life (and others) a tad bit easier.
Here are some things we came up with:
- Make a list…of what you need, then add what you want. This ensures that the necessities are met and you can get a few snacks as well.
- Shop the sales!! Go through your coupons and organize them by being realistic to your lifestyle. For instance, just because you could get two of something for a sale, if you don’t need it or it will perish, don’t buy two- buy what you need.
- Make a menu for the week – buy the ingredients needed. Tip: throw in a recipe you want to try and buy the ingredients, this will liven up your time in the kitchen as well.
- Research to see if your employer offers any perks at local stores. This is a great way to save on produce and other products.
- Set a budget and stick to it! Need I say more?
- Reusable grocery cart bags. This makes it easier to carry things in the house because you only buy what is in the cart. Also, it helps you keep track of the products you buy – you can put perishables in one bag and other products in the second bag.
- Shop at night…less people to deal with, thus making your shopping more enjoyable.
- Use any reward perks that you can. Take the time to review and what stores you use regularly, then sign up for the rewards programs.
- Review your cart before going to the checkout line. Be real with yourself! Do you really need all the things that you put in your cart?
- Listen to music while you shop. This is something that I never considered. Listening to music can help you clear your mind and shop at a livelier pace.
So there you have it! Here are all the tips that I’ve been given and plan on employing in my next few grocery shopping trips. I hope this makes everyone shopping a little bit better. If you have any tips that would be helpful, I encourage you to share them!
Be sure to Follow my blog with Bloglovin