“Go shawty, it’s ya birthday!” That’s right! Last week was officially my birthday week, which means it is time to reflect on what HAS happened (good & bad), what I WANT to happen (reminding myself to be realistic), and all the pleasantries in between.
Instead of going through every minute detail of being 27, I thought I would share some valuable lessons I learned in all of my 27 years – I even added one for good measure. So I gently urge you to grab a glass or mug of your favorite drink and indulge in some of the hardest lessons I’ve learned over the years in no particular order. Ready? OK….Here’s to 28 years!!! (*clink, clink)
- Being busy is NOT the same thing as being productive.
- Sometimes I need to sit my ass down…
- When something feels wrong, it probably is. You felt – that time you stayed in the presence of someone longer than you needed to didn’t feel right and it wasn’t.
- The food will be there tomorrow, chill out.
- If you have to constantly ask “what are we” then you are probably friends at best…you shouldn’t expect anything more or less than that.
- Just take the compliment damnit (I’m the worst at this).
- Take care of your skin.
- My mental and physical health comes before anything.
- Vaginal Health is EXTREMELY important.
- Self-disappointment is the worst feeling in the world.
- Always try to feel inspired.
- Sleep is good, but not all the damn time. Get out of the house.
- You’re only going to be great if you are consistent, so stop quitting.
- You may bond with people about your severe dislike of working out and eating healthy, but it is actually problematic AF to think that way.
- Just because someone makes you laugh does not mean you are compatible.
- Stop seeking counsel from people who don’t have to live with the consequences of your actions.
- Family over everything.
- Pray about it before you talk to people about it.
- Everyone you work with is not your friend.
- You are enough.
- Always show up and do your best.
- Everyone is not worth your time or energy.
- Being single is not a bad thing.
- You are beautiful.
- Never underestimate the power of a good nights sleep.
- You can eat anything in moderation.
- Don’t be so trusting – use discernment.
- So what if he doesn’t like you, do you like you?
There you have it! Of course, these are not the only lessons that I’ve learned but these are the lessons that I had to learn the hard way. I am so excited to see exactly where 28 will bring me. I have so much planned! Even though I am a little scared, I’m excited to learn and grow as well.
What do you think? I would love to hear some of the lessons that you have learned along the way as well as what you think of the lessons I’ve learned so far.